Sunday, June 6, 2010

WHEN I AM THE ENEMY WHO MUST BE LOVED

WHEN I AM THE ENEMY WHO MUST BE LOVED

CG Jung said; “That I feed the hungry, forgive an insult and love my enemy- these are great virtues. But what if I discover that the poorest of beggars and the most impudent of offenders are all within me, and that I stand in need of the alms of my own kindness; that I myself am the enemy who must be loved- what then?”
As we grow and learn how to become the best person we can become, we often find ourselves in the position of being our own worst enemy; weak and “most impudent of offenders”. Not only that, but we realize that we are the ones who put ourselves in our current state of needing love, healing, understanding and forgiveness.

Self love, kindness and forgiveness are things that we learn to suppress in our culture. They are seen as being selfish and self serving when in actuality you must love and forgive yourself before being able to truly love another. Sort of like putting on your own oxygen mask before helping the person next to you on a plane. This wisdom is born of maturity, healing, growth and experience.

Maybe it is then, when you feed, heal, love and forgive yourself first that you are strong enough to give to others. If your well is dry, if your need is great then you don't have much to share; but still, if you attempt sharing while caring for yourself, you will receive what you need and grow.

Bright Blessings, Chessie
© Chessie Roberts 2010, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment