Sunday, March 18, 2012

THERE IS ALWAYS TIME FOR COFFEE WITH A FRIEND

I heard this story years ago at a business training time management seminar and I liked it so well I use it every chance I get.

The speaker held up a big, open-mouthed jar. On the table were lots of rocks. He carefully placed them in the jar until no more would fit. He then asked the attendees who thought the jar was full?

Most people raised their hands, I did not at this point.

He then reached under the table and pulled out a box of pebbles ans placed these rocks into the jar giving it a little shake now and then to settle them until no more of them would fit. Again he asked us who thought the jar was full?

Only a few people raised their hands this time. I started to but then the light caught an openspace between the rocks and I thought better of it.

He then reached under the table and pulled out a bag containing sand and poured the sand into the jar and shook it into place in all the little spaces until no more would fit. Again he asked us who thought the jar was full?

I thought maybe it was but decided to wait and No one else raised their hands either. I guess by now they were thinking like me...something else was in store.

Then our instructor reached under the table and pulled out a pot of coffee and filled the jar with it until it could take no more.

He then asked “Does anyone get the lesson here?"

One of the group answered with; "No matter how much you're doing you can always do more?"

The instructor laughed and said “Not quite, the lesson is that you must put the big things in your life first. The smaller things will find a way in on their own. But if you don't put in the big things first, they won't fit in later. And, that there is always room for coffee with a friend"

I teach my clients to put the “big rocks” first and the smaller things in life will fall into place in a natural and spontaneous way...and you will have time for coffee with friends.

Bright Blessings, Chessie

No comments:

Post a Comment