Sunday, March 25, 2012

What does your joy look like today?


One of the sanest, surest & most generous joys of life comes
from being happy over the good fortune of others.” {Robert A. Heinlein
}

As some of you know, I ask a question of the day on Face Book every morning and one of my favorite questions was, “What does your joy look like today?” I enjoyed the answers that I received and they prompted this blog.

The first person answered; “A beautiful heart warming dramatic movie, exquisite (to me) food, and letting my passion express itself through my creativity!” A movie can surely influence your mood. The reason being that it involves all of your senses, thereby triggering your emotions and they, in turn, trigger your chemistry. A bit sneaky yes but very affective when you are looking for a boost to how you are feeling that day. Food is another good way to “feel joy” both by its preparation and by its consumption. Having good company in the kitchen can be very joy filled.
Some one quoted the Buddha; "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."{Buddha} This is sage advice, I teach and live by the adage that “as we think so we are.” {Chessie Roberts} And with the conscious, aware intention to be happy and filled with joy, you stand a much better chance of having it happen.

One of the answers was based on having a project go in the desired direction; “Its contingent on if I get more people to pick up their volunteer packets for this weekend Joy meter on the rise.” I caution you here that if your joy depends on anything outside you, you run the risk of having it let you down. If you are leaning on an outside project, do it with the conscious awareness of being happy no matter which way the outcome falls and you will achieve greater goals than you ever before thought possible.

This next was a conversation between two of the answering parties; “Getting my procrastinating butt out the door and editing at the library/ ‎(to be honest, at the moment i am vacillating between a yoga session first or getting straight to editing....feeling the yoga need, but can it wait til after?)
Reply by person #2 “If you are “yoga-ed” your editing session will probably go better.
Back to person #1 “Very true, thank you, besides, this would be a quiet yoga session now, where i may have other 'participants' later....decision made!” Exercise is always a good way to lift your spirits and get you motivated and energized. Yoga is an amazing way to accomplish this because it oxygenates your blood and the gentle stretches wake your body and make it ready to take on the world. Having a defined plan is also good for your productivity because you know exactly what to do next. You don't frustrate yourself trying to decide what your next step will be.

This next person chose the attitude of gratitude; “My joy looks like waking up this morning :o) Good or bad, I am grateful for another day.” Being grateful for your life and everything in it carries great joy in and of itself. If you are truly grateful for where you are right now, you draw more joy and good things to you.

This person chose a childhood memory that elicited joy from within; “I awoke to see a fog bank surrounding me this morning. Always feels like hiding beneath the covers when I was a child. Always a joy” The recalling of childhood joys and bringing that joy into your present is a lovely to experience joy in your life.

This is one that I use a lot ; “I find something kind to do for someone else. I try to do it anonymously (the joy is greater if I can) It doesn't have to be a big thing but it must be done with no thought of reward. It works every time!” I don't think I need to add anything to this one.

Here you have some wonderful examples of how to find joy in your life, I am sure there are many more. The surest one I know of is to intend that you are joyful while using the tools at your disposal to make it so. That very last one is one I use when I am at my lowest, the rewards for both parties are amazing!

Wishing Bright Blessings, Love, Light and Joy to you all, Chessie

© 2012 Chessie Roberts, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment